Friday, June 5, 2009

Chacala, Nayarit. Bad Mojo?

OK, I know I am probably going to take some flack about this. But I don't like Chacala. Sorry, I don't and I have tried and tried for years but something about this place just creeps me out. Maybe it is the fact that there is no real town. Maybe its the huge cyclone fenced off empty area that is guarded by a guy with a gun. Maybe it is the winding road with the blind corners. Maybe it is nothing and I was dropped on my head as a baby.
I have always had a nice time at the beach and the restaurants there, so its not like I have had a bad experience that would cause this feeling. I can see that they are trying to improve the area. Bill says that his Rotary Club in La Penita is helping out with the school there and working with the local health department to clean up the raw sewage being dumped in the bay.
I will continue returning and hopefully one day the eebee jeebees will go away.

10 comments:

  1. After waiting for so long to get there, I must admit that I was disappointed with Chacala. Andee's absence obviously had something to do with it. It almost felt like a small ball of yarn -- with no obvious way to unravel it. Those guys at the fenced-in area are certainly a reason I would now give the place a pass.

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh good. I thought it was just me. We drove around alot thinking that we had to be missing something. There are some lovely homes being built, but it still lacks something.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We always go to Chacala to get away from Guayabitos!! It's a nice Sunday escape. But I do admit, once that cyclone fencing went up, the feel of the town changed.

    You can see some of the same beach vendors that sell on the beach at Guayabitos, selling at Chacala on the weekend.

    Have you gone to Las Cuevas this year?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Susan,
    No, I dont know about Las Cuevas. tell me about it???

    ReplyDelete
  5. Susan:
    oh, Cave beach. yes we were there a few years ago, but we didnt go this year. We did go to Orange Beach and met with another gun toting guard that would not let us go down to the beach.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Chacala started changing in 2002 after Hurricane Kenna devastated the area. Then they started building the really upscale homes...I think it's called Chacalilla. We were living up at Playa Las Tortugas and before the hurricane and the development it was incredibly charming and just had a wonderful feel to it. I don't believe there is any way that area can develop with character and the integrity and beauty it used to have. Just my two cents worth...I stopped going there several years ago unless our sailboat friends are anchored out there.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Jan, interesting that you mentioned 2002 hurricane. I would think that the developement at Playa Las Tortugas would fill up like a bath tub. Were home in that area wiped out?

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think Chacala is suffering from the effects of too much popularity. My blogger friend Andee loved it so much, I wonder what she'd say about it now.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi 1st Mate.
    Yes, I had read all of Andee's Blog She did have a heart for Chacala and Chacala had a heart for her too. The entire Riveria Nayarit is in transition. I dont know what to expect, so I am praying for the best.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I heard they opened up Boca de Naranja for Semana Santa. Moved the big boulders and let you drive down. We went down there this year. You just have to walk down. Not sure that they can prevent you from accessing the beach. Oh well - things are really changing in our little part of paradise.

    ReplyDelete