Tuesday, June 9, 2009

The Bear and the Porcupine



I am nearly finished with this book. I checked it out of the Scottsdale Library. It is written by Jeffrey Davidow Former USA Ambassador to Mexico 1998-2002. He actually is a good writer. I had expected this read to be just Governmental statistics and junk, but he really has some great stories and insights. The only thing I don't like about the book is that it is awkward to hold. It the size of a Jr. High History text book and bound really tight.

His writing on the drug related issues, cultural differences and political expectations are very easy to follow and appreciate. He also writes this in a fashion that reads almost like a travel novel, so if you don't like the political stuff, you will be delighted with his descriptions of breakfasts at his home, travel that he and his wife took advantage of and alike.

All and all, I am enjoying the book more than I thought I would.

4 comments:

  1. Sounds like a good read! I just wanted to tell you that I love the Mexico Photo of the Day that you've added to your sidebar.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wish I could get a copy down here.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds very interesting. I love travel books laced with pertinent facts. Funny you would say that about the size of the book...that's a pet peeve with me since I mostly read in bed. When will you be back in Mexico?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Leslie: A very intersting read in deed. Thanks for noticing my new "gagets"!

    Steve: Let me see what I can do to get you a copy.

    Jan: We usually make it down your way in July, I will stay in touch.

    ReplyDelete