Tuesday, April 7, 2009

FM3 Permit

I am very excited to learn that we can apply for our FM3 Permits here in Phoenix at the Mexican Consulate. An FM3 allows us to live in Mexico and have a one time duty free import of all our household goods. We will need to prove $1,000.00 per month per person income and show an electric bill in our name. FM3 needs to be applied for annually.
I have been to this Consulate a few times. We got our FMT and Vehicle Permit there in 2008 when we did that drive between Scottsdale and Puerto Vallarta. The place is generally packed with Mexican nationals getting their Passports updated and such. Being a blond Gringa, I am generally approached by an English speaking person who sees the confusion in my eyes. The wait is not usually long, maybe 10 minutes or so. There is some language barriers, but politeness and flexible time schedules bares good fruit.


  1. I had not heard about the duty-free import; that's good to know.

    It's my understanding that if you are married you need only $1500 for the two of you. I think the rule is $1000 for the first person and $500 for each additional family member, though I could be wrong. I believe there is also a rule where you don't need to prove as much income if you own the property you live on.

  2. Thanks Zannie, I have seen it both ways, so when I get nearer to moving I will check it out more closely. I like the 1500.00 progam much better :)