Friday, April 3, 2009

Rice and &*^%girlfriend %&**$life

So, I listen to Mexican radio when I commute. I figure it is a great way to learn some spanish. What I hear are bits and pieces of communication. I can generally figure out the gest of the conversation. Songs are pretty simple. Most Mexican songs are about love, life and struggle. Some even poke fun at being burracho (drunk) and tanto (stupid). Regardless. I feel happy while listening. Heck, I can rarely figure out what they are saying in english language songs anymore.

Anyway, about rice. I have come to learn that Mexicans cook rice way more different than we do. It takes about the same amount of time, but it is more flavorful, colorful and hardy. Here is a recipe that I did last night. It could have cooked longer, but I was anxiuos to get going to a birthday party as we had the Pinata...

1 cup of uncooked rice, rinsed and water shaken off.
1/4 cup of vegetable oil
2 small tomatoes
Cilantro
1 1/2 cups of chicken broth or water
A roast chili if you have one. Membrane and seeds removed
1-2 cloves of Garlic.

In a skillet, saute rice in oil until golden brown and brittle.
While you are doing this, roast the tomatoes over a flame until the skin blisters and you can remove the skin without removing your own. Crap...thats hot.
Use 1/4 cup of stock and the garlic and blend that up in a blender or small food processor.
Pour that into the golden brittle rice, careful, it is going to steam like crazy and burn you. CRAP, thats hot! Cover skillet and simmer.
Throw the tomatoes, chili, cilantro and rest of chicken broth into the blender and blend up until smooth.
Stir rice and add the pink and green stuff you just blended. Cover and simmer.
Stir occasationally so that the rice does not stick tothe bottom. It will stick a bit, but scape it off as that is the good stuff.

This is my own version. You can add or subtract what you like. Just adjust the liquid if you have dont use the juicy tomatoes.

So, I have given Keety a list of snacks we will take on the road trip. I dont know why he even asks me for a list any more. It is always the same. Chicharrones, Iced Starbucks, Green tea Ice tea, beef jerky and fruit. If we were actually crossing the border into Mexico, there would be beer on the list as well. But, alas we are staying El norte this trip.

No comments:

Post a Comment